Curently, food production and trading contain potential risks of unsafety and unhygienation. Thus, it is necessary to publish a system of standards and regulations to ensure food safety, eliminating unknown origin food. This is the premise for HACCP to be born.
BRIEF INTRODUCTION OF HACCP
1. WHAT IS HACCP?
HACCP stands for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point. HACCP is accepted by CODEX (Codex Alimentarius Commission). It is scientific, reasonable anf systematic access for recognition, production, food preparation and food use to ensure that only safe food is consumed.
HACCP application, by now, is not simply about hazard analysis and critical control point but also ensuring prerequisites and course such as Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures SSOP.
- WHY TO CHOOSE HACCP
- Requirements from customers, especially consumers.
- Requirements from government body of food safety and hygienization.
- International integrity trend with the demand to deliver products to picky market.
- Pressure from owner and shareholders:
- Expect their investment to be “safe” with consumers.
- Improve image toward customers and stakeholders.
3. APPLIED SUBJECT
HACCP system can be applied to any organization which directly or indirectly relates to food production including:
- Farms, fishing areas and milk farms.
- Meat, fish AND animal feed manufacturers.
- Bread, cereal, beverage, frozen or canned food manufacturers
- Service providers such as: restaurants, fastfood chains, hospitals, hotels, food mobility stores.
- Niche services such as: food storage and distribution, additives, ingredients, cleaning and packaging service.
4. BENEFITS TO APPLY HACCP
- Help enterprise build trust and image to customers with certification from third party.
- Enhance competition competence thanks to confidence of customers.
- Sustainably develop thanks to meet the requirements of food safety agencies and community.
- Open more opportunities for exporting and entering international market requiring certificate.
- Reduce requirements if a governmental inspection is conducted.
- Increasingly build trust of customers, retailers, and government.
- Enhance brand image and support when there is an audit of governmental bodies and stakeholders.
B. MARKET ECONOMY
- Owing to HACCP Enterprise could reduce expense related to risk of product recall and compensation.
- Reduce recycling and disposing expense thanks to food safety risk early identification mechanism
C. RISK MANAGEMENT
- Risk alert and reduce damages caused by risks.
- HACCP is requirement for reducing insurance fee.
- Work with insurance of damage and compensation in a more easy way.
- Build foundation for certification, recognition.
5. TRAINING ANCERTIFICATION PROCESS
A. PRINCIPLES OF HACCP
Below are 7 principles of HACCP:
- Identify hazard negatively affecting to food safety.
- Identify Critical Control Point (CCP).
- Set up critical point.
- Set up tracking and supervising system to control CCP.
- Make emergency respond plan if critical control point overtakes.
- Set up audit system.
- Set up HACCP document and file.
B. IMPLEMENTATION PROCESS
- Commitment of leaders
- Evaluate and set up plan
- Set up HACCP system:
- Hazard analysis,
- Identify critical control point,
- Set up critical control points,
- Set up tracking and supervising system to control CCP,
- Conduct correction and prevention mechanism,
- Set up inspection procedure,
- Set up HACCP document and file.
- Apply system
- Audit, innovate
KNA CERT has worked with many enterprises for training and certifying HACCP, thus it is necessary to understand HACCP then they can apply it to their system.