Nowadays, forest management and protection is gaining increasingly concern of people. There are more and more organizations as well as enterprises to realize the importance of those work leading to the establishment of FSC. This helps bring about solutions, motivation and control in worldwide forest management for environmental and social benefits.
What is FSC/CoC/FM certificate?
What is FSC certificate?
- FSC (Forest Stewardship Council): is an international non-profit, multi-stakeholder organization established in 1993 to promote responsible management of the world’s forests. The FSC does this by setting standards on forest products, along with certifying and labeling them as eco-friendly.
- FSC-FM (FSC Forest Management): This certificate is issued to forest growing and exploiting units which are verified to follow 10 principles of FSC fitting with environmental, social and economic benefits.
- CoC (Chain of Custody) The FSC Chain of Custody (CoC) system allows the tracking of FSC certified material from the forest to the consumer. It is a method by which companies can show their commitment to the environment and responsible forest management. Only companies that have FSC chain of custody certification are allowed to use the FSC trademarks and labels to promote their products. The FSC label therefore provides a link between responsible production and responsible consumption and helps the consumer to make socially and environmentally responsible buying decisions.
- FSC-CW (Controlled Wood): It allows manufacturers to mix FSC certified material with uncertified materials in FSC labelled products under controlled conditions. It aims to avoid the use of wood products from ‘unacceptable’ sources in FSC labelled products. Unacceptable sources include illegally harvested wood, wood harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights, wood harvested in HCV forests and wood harvested from areas where genetically modified trees are planted.
II. Applicable FSC standard for FSC-CoC
- FSC-STD-30-010 version 02: FSC Controlled Wood for forest managing organization.
- FSC-STD-40-004 version 02: FSC-Coc for FSC certified wood providing and processing enterprises.
- FSC – STD- 40-005 version 02: FSC for original auditing enterprises
- FSC-STD-40-201 version 02: FSC Labelling requirement
III. Who needs FSC - CoC?
All enterprises, units and organization operating in following fields:
- Exploiting and purchasing wood materials.
- Pre-processing timber.
- Refining of wood products.
- Distribution of wood products.
IV. FSC trademark on certified products
The Organization shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations and nationally-ratified international treaties, conventions and agreements.
The Organization shall maintain or enhance the social and economic wellbeing of workers.
The Organization shall identify and uphold Indigenous Peoples’ legal and customary rights of ownership, use and management of land, territories and resources affected by management activities.
The Organization shall contribute to maintaining or enhancing the social and economic wellbeing of local communities.
The Organization shall efficiently manage the range of multiple products and services of the Management Unit to maintain or enhance long term economic viability and the range of environmental and social benefits.
The Organization shall maintain, conserve and/or restore ecosystem services and environmental values of the Management Unit, and shall avoid, repair or mitigate negative environmental impacts.
The Organization shall have a management plan consistent with its policies and objectives and proportionate to scale, intensity and risks of its management activities.
The Organization shall demonstrate that progress towards achieving the management objectives, the impacts of management activities and the condition of the Management Unit are monitored and evaluated proportionate to the scale, intensity and risk of management activities, in order to implement adaptive management.
The Organization shall maintain and/or enhance the High Conservation Values in the Management Unit through applying the precautionary approach.
Management activities conducted by or for The Organization for the Management Unit shall be selected and implemented consistent with The Organization’s economic, environmental and social policies and objectives and in compliance with the Principles and Criteria collectively.
- Establishing FSC-CoC team.
- Build FSC-CoC policy.
- Build FSC-CoC handbook and procedures.
- Work instructions and regulations in accordance with FSC-CoC standards.
- Pre-audit review.
- Support for certification assessment.
- System maintenance guidline.
VII. Issuing FSC process
Step 1: Contact KNA CERT's pre-audit and provide full information about your business.
Step 2: KNA CERT will receive information and procedures, estimate FSC certification cost and negotiate with customers.
Step 3: When the customer signs an agreement with KNA CERT. We will conduct an assessment.
Step 4: Deployment:
- KNA CERT sends the expert to lead audit delegation. This expert will be provided with all documents related to the production and business of the customer and the evaluation criteria have been accepted.
- Delegation of experts to conduct site assessment activities
- Discuss and report preliminary results to customers
- Send the preliminary report to the evaluation body; the evaluation body will summarize the report and send it to the customer for comments (up to 2 weeks).
- The lead specialist will synthesize and produce the final report from the opinion of the client and the independent expert.
Step 5: Certification:
Once your business activities meet FSC requirements, you will receive FSC certification. Once certified, the company will be listed in the FSC's Forest Stewardship Council at http://fsc.org.
- The period from the beginning of the pre-audit to the end of the certification period usually takes about 3 months.
- FSC certificate is valid for 5 years. And within the validity period of the KNA CERT certification, an annual assessment will be conducted to verify FSC compliance in the organization or business that has been certified.
REASONS TO CHOOSE KNA CERT
- To be trained by dedicated, experienced staff
- Customer’s feedback are always heard with the highest level of support.
3. Services fee is reasonable, suitable with the reality of each enterprise.
4. Be supported with all technical documents, standards and legal documents annually.
5. Be supported with logo and PR branding on the KNA CERT website - with prestige and high keyword rankings on Google.
Contact: KNA Certification Company Limited
Office: 11th Floor, Ladeco Building, 266 Doi Can Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Tell: 093.2211.786 - 02438.268.222
Email: email@example.com Website: www.knacert.com.vn